Tuesday, March 24, 2009

You Had to Be There

People that know me, know that I am not a religious person. I have beliefs and, although they are not evil, they aren't "everyday-white-midwestern-typical" beliefs. I would like to think I'm more spiritual than religious but, to be honest, I haven't been active in that regard for a while. Now, I believe I have been in presence of a higher power a few times and most of them were around music and crowds.
About a week ago, I had to work in the auditorium of the school where I work. My department runs the technology there so I got to play "sound man." It is a job I wish I was better at. The event was a surprise party that a church threw for one of their members. This church had a mostly African American congregation but there were also white people in attendance. I believe we almost blew the roof off the school. I say we because I was caught up in the whole thing. I didn't dance, but there was a point when I had tears in my eyes. There were people testifying about how they had been saved and redeemed and singing with some of the strongest, most beautiful voices I have ever heard. No kidding. This guy was moved. I felt energized and exhausted at the same time after the show. I tore down my equipment, mics and stands and cables, and listened to the people talk. Everyone was friendly with each other and lots of hugs and handshakes were given out. But I didn't notice people talking about how amazing it all was. Finally, I helped one of the pastors move his organ to his truck (no jokes please), I said, "That was a heck of an event."
He answered back, "Yeah, when the spirit moves you just go with it."
Then I said, "I wish I could describe what just took place but I don't think I can."
"No, I don't think so. You really just have to experience it."
I do believe he was right. And I was glad that I had been there. When I said something about how amazing it was to one of the choir directors, she just smiled at me and I could see that she could see how moved I was. It was that, and the conversation with the pastor that let me know what happened that night was real and happened to probably everyone there. And that was a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

  1. So I'm curious to know if you have had this experience before and if it is always in a religious setting.

    I can remember singing in church as a young girl and feeling not just the words and music, but the SPIRIT present in the church. As I got older, it got harder to experience.

    Oddly enough, I've been swept away in similar emotions when watching movies. I suspect it has something to do with the music, as well. Remember the 'snake line' in The Thirteenth Warrior? I swear I can understand every primitive belief those people could have felt seeing that on the screen. I would probably wet my pants to ever witness anything like that in person.

    I think I've been to meetings that were moving as well. Zig Ziglar, a motivational speaker I seen once had me so caught up in my career that it felt almost spiritual.

    Of course, I see some things as spiritual that maybe others don't. All it takes is a woodchuck sighting to remind God is present. Especially when they stand and wave, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things I remember that caused a feeling as strong as the meeting with the Gospel Choir:
    1. Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies Show at the Piatt County Fair Grounds in Illinois.
    2. Michael Kelsey at the Oakley Auditorium.
    3. Drumming circle at Goddess Gathering in the late eighties.
    4. Methodist Youth Fellowship trip in 1978.

    ReplyDelete